Centre for the Study of the Second Vatican Council
Coordinator: Mathijs Lamberigts
Secretary: Karim Schelkens
More information about the centre
On February 20, 1970, the Centre for the Study of the Second Vatican Council (CSVII) was founded by two Leuven theology professors, Prof. Dr. Maurits Sabbe (1924-2004) and Prof. Dr. Jan Grootaers. Its aim was and continues to be the collection of source material documenting the history of Vatican II and to advance and support research regarding the council.
Today, in the light of the commemorations of the fiftieth anniversary of Vatican II (2012-2015), the Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies as a whole seeks to prioritize its focus on the Second Vatican Council in its research, teaching, and service to the church. We will not only advance the historical and theological investigations into the origins and impact of the council documents, but also intend to study past events and texts in order to shape their present-day reception, as part of the effort to best prepare the Roman Catholic Church for the future and its challenges. In the areas where the reception of Vatican II's heritage has yet to be accomplished, and where the debate is ongoing, the Faculty commits itself to this debate, relying on its historical, systematical-, and practical-theological expertise.
Leo Declerck, a researcher affiliated with the Research Unit for the History of Church and Theology and the Centre for the Study of the Second Vatican Council, has been awarded an honorary doctorate from the Faculty of Catholic Theology at Johannes Gutenberg-Universität in Mainz. Can. Declerck is being recognised for his contribution to scholarship on the Second Vatican Council. The honorary degree comes on the 50th anniversary of the Second Vatican Council.
- DECLERCK, L., Inventaire des archives personnelles du Cardinal J. Willebrands, Secrétaire (1960-1969) et Président (1969-1989) du Secrétariat pour l'unité des chrétiens, Archevêque d'Utrecht (1975-1983) (Instrumenta Theologica, 35), Leuven, Maurits Sabbebibliotheek, Faculteit Theologie en Religiewetenschappen - Peeters, 2013.
- LAMBERIGTS, M. - KENIS, L. (ed.), Vaticanum II: geschiedenis of inspiratie? Theologische opstellen over het tweede Vaticaans concilie, Antwerpen, Halewijn, 2013.
- SCHELKENS, K. (ed.), Herinnering en belofte: 50 jaar Vaticanum II, Leuven - Den Haag, Acco, 2013.
- ROY, P., Bibliographie du concile Vatican II (Atti e Documenti, 34), Città del Vaticano, Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 2012.
- SCHELKENS, K. & Skira, J.Z. (ed.), The Second Vatican Council Diaries of Met. Maxim Hermaniuk, C.Ss.R. (1960-1965) (Eastern Christian Studies, 15), Leuven, Peeters, 2012.